With what purpose is the Government of India promoting the concept of “Mega Food Parks”?
- To provide good infrastructure facilities for the food processing industry.
- To increase the processing of perishable items and reduce wastage.
- To provide emerging and eco-friendly food processing technologies to entrepreneurs.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2011 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 1 and 2 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- The Mega Food Park is an initiative launched in 2008 with the objective of creating advanced infrastructure for food processing industries.
- It falls under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Food Processing Industries.
- The scheme aims to facilitate collaboration among farmers, processors, and retailers, connecting agricultural production to the market.
- Its primary goals are to enhance value addition, reduce wastage, and improve farmers’ income.
- Main objectives of the scheme:
- To provide modern infrastructure for food processing. Hence, statement 1 is correct.
- To increase the processing of perishable items and reduce wastage. Hence, statement 2 is correct.
- Increasing farmer’s income.
- Employment creation, especially in rural areas.
- Maximizing value addition of agricultural produce.
- There are no provisions for emerging and eco-friendly food processing technologies for entrepreneurs. Hence, statement 3 is not correct.