With references to organic farming in India, consider the following statements:
- ‘The National Programme for Organic Production’ (NPOP) is operated under the guidelines and directions of the Union Ministry of Rural Development.
- ‘The Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority’ (APEDA) functions as the Secretariat for the implementation of NPOP.
- Sikkim has become India’s first fully organic State.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2018 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- The National Programme for Organic Production (NPOP) has been enforced by the Ministry of Commerce since 2001, with the following objectives:
- Provide a means of evaluating organic agriculture and product certification programs, including wild harvest, aquaculture, and livestock products, in accordance with established criteria.
- Accredit certification programs of Certification Bodies seeking accreditation.
- Facilitate certification of organic products in compliance with prescribed standards.
- Facilitate certification of organic products in compliance with importing countries’ organic standards, either through an equivalence agreement between the two countries or as per importing country requirements.
- Encourage the development of organic farming and processing.
- The Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) is responsible for implementing NPOP. Recently, Sikkim has achieved the distinction of becoming the first fully organic State in India.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.