With reference to ‘Urban Cooperative Banks’ in India, consider the following statements:
- They are supervised and regulated by local boards set up by the State Governments.
- They can issue equity shares and preference shares.
- They were brought under the purview of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 through an Amendment in 1966.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2021 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Statement 1 is incorrect. The Urban Banks Department of the Reserve Bank of India is vested with the responsibility of regulating and supervising primary (urban) cooperative banks, which are popularly known as Urban Cooperative Banks (UCBs).
- Statement 2 is correct. A cooperative bank can, with prior approval of the RBI, issue equity shares, preference shares, or special shares to its members or to any other person residing within its area of operation, by way of public issue or private placements.
- Statement 3 is correct. Large cooperative banks with paid-up share capital and reserves of Rs.1 lakh were brought under the purview of the Banking Regulation Act 1949 through an amendment in 1966.