With reference to the use of Nano-technology in health sector, which of the following statement(s) is/are correct?
- Targeted drug delivery is made possible by nanotechnology.
- Nanotechnology can largely contribute to gene therapy.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2015 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
Nanotechnology refers to the branch of science and engineering devoted to designing, producing, and using structures, devices, and systems by manipulating atoms and molecules at nanoscale, i.e. having one or more dimensions of the order of 100 nanometres (100 millionth of a millimetre) or less.
- Nanosystems possess unique biological characteristics that can be harnessed to address challenges encountered in drug delivery and gene therapy.
- For instance, in drug therapy, there are issues with the effectiveness and specificity of the drugs, which can be addressed by utilizing nanosystems for targeted therapy.
- Similarly, non-viral systems used in gene therapy suffer from problems such as low efficiency and short-lived gene expression, compared to viral vectors.
- To overcome these limitations, researchers are investigating the barriers that impede gene delivery to develop non-viral systems that can achieve the same level of effectiveness as viral systems in gene transfection.