With reference to the “United Nations Credentials Committee”, consider the following statements:
- It is a committee set up by the UN Security Council and works under its supervision.
- It traditionally meets in March, June and September every year.
- It assesses the credentials of all UN members before submitting a report to the General Assembly for approval.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2022 Prelims]
(a) 3 only
(b) 1 and 3
(c) 2 and 3
(d) 1 and 2
- A Credentials Committee is appointed at the beginning of each regular session of the General Assembly. It consists of nine members, who are appointed by the General Assembly on the proposal of the President.
- The Committee reports to the Assembly on the credentials of representatives.
- The credentials of representatives and the names of members of the delegation of each Member State are submitted to the Secretary-General and are issued either by the Head of the State or Government or by the Minister for Foreign Affairs.
- The Committee is mandated to examine the credentials of representatives of Member States and to report to the General Assembly thereon.