With reference to the religious history of medieval India, the Sufi mystics were known to pursue which of the following practices?
- Meditation and control of breath
- Severe ascetic exercises in a lonely place
- Recitation of holy songs to arouse a state of ecstasy in their audience
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2012 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Sufism is a mystical form of Islam that emphasizes the spiritual search for God and rejects materialism.
- Sufi practices include love and devotion towards God, music and dance as expressions of devotion, and meditation and breath control exercises.
- Sama is a musical recital used to induce a mystical state of ecstasy. Disciples, known as murids, progress through spiritual exercises in a solitary environment.
Therefore, option (d) is the correct answer.