With reference to the proposals of Cripps Mission, consider the following statements:
- The Constituent Assembly would have members nominated by the Provincial Assemblies as well as the Princely States.
- Any Province, which is not prepared to accept the new Constitution would have the right to sign a separate agreement with Britain regarding its future status.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2022 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Cripps Mission and its Proposals
- The Cripps Mission was sent to India in 1942 in order to secure India’s support during World War II. However, negotiations between the British government and Indian leaders failed to yield an agreement.
- Main Proposals:
- The Cripps Mission proposed granting dominion status to India after the war.
- A constitution-making body was to be established after the war.
- The assembly members would be partly elected by provincial assemblies through proportional representation and partly nominated by the princes. Thus, statement 1 is incorrect.
- The British government would accept the constitution only if certain provinces chose to remain outside the Union of India.
- Any province rejecting the new constitution would have the right to sign a separate agreement with the British. Hence, statement 2 is correct.
- Negotiations and Failure:
- The negotiations between Cripps and Congress leaders failed due to objections from the Congress party about the provision of dominion status instead of full independence, representation of the princely states by the nominees of the rulers rather than by the people, and the partition of India.
- The British government also refused to accept demands for the immediate transfer of effective power to the Indians and a real share in the responsibility for the defence of India.
- An important reason for the failure of the negotiations was the inability of Cripps to bargain and negotiate.
- The Cripps Mission ultimately failed to secure Indian support during World War II and to establish a framework for India’s independence.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.