With reference to the ‘National Intellectual Property Rights Policy’, consider the following statements:
- It reiterates India’s commitment to the Doha Development Agenda and the TRIPS Agreement.
- Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion is the nodal agency for regulating intellectual property rights in India.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2017 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
- The National Intellectual Property Rights Policy aims to create a favorable environment in the country that promotes innovation and creativity, focusing on aspects such as awareness, creation, commercialization, and enforcement of intellectual property (IP). The Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) has been designated as the nodal department for this policy. Statement 2 is correct.
- Statement 1 is also correct as the introduction of this policy demonstrates India’s commitment to the Doha Development Agenda and the TRIPS Agreement, which emphasize the significance of intellectual property rights.
- The National Intellectual Property Rights Policy serves as a comprehensive platform that encompasses various intellectual property rights, bringing them together under a single framework.
- Moreover, the policy aims to incorporate and adapt global best practices in intellectual property to suit the specific requirements of the Indian context.