With reference to the Indus River system, of the following four rivers, three of them pour into one of them which joins the Indus direct. Among the following, which one is such river that joins the Indus direct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2021 Prelims]
- The Indus River system is comprised of several rivers including the main Indus, Jhelum, Chenab, Ravi, Beas, and Sutlej.
- The majority of the basin is shared between India and Pakistan, with smaller portions belonging to China and Afghanistan.
- The Jhelum and Ravi rivers flow into the Chenab, while the Beas joins the Sutlej.
- The Sutlej and Chenab then merge at Panjnad, which is located about 10 miles north of Uch Sharif in the Muzaffar Garh district.
- The combined river runs in a southwestern direction for around 44 miles before joining the Indus River at Mithankot.
Therefore, option (d) is the correct answer.