With reference to the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS), consider the following statements:
- IRNSS has three satellites in geostationary and four satellites in geosynchronous orbits.
- IRNSS covers entire India and about 5500 sq. km beyond its borders.
- India will have its own satellite navigation system with full global coverage by the middle of 2019.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2018 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 1 and 2 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
- IRNSS consists of a constellation of eight satellites, NavIC. Three satellites are located in the geostationary orbit and the remaining four are located in geosynchronous orbits.
- It is designed to provide accurate position information service to users in India as well as the region extending up to 1500 km from its boundary, which is its primary service area. Hence, Statement 2 is NOT correct.
- An Extended Service Area lies between primary service area and area enclosed by the rectangle from Latitude 30 deg South to 50 deg North, Longitude 30 deg East to 130 deg East.