With reference to the Indian economy, consider the following statements:
- An increase in Nominal Effective Exchange Rate (NEER) indicates the appreciation of rupee.
- An increase in the Real Effective Exchange Rate (REER) indicates an improvement in trade competitiveness.
- An increasing trend in domestic inflation relative to inflation in other countries is likely to cause an increasing divergence between NEER and REER.
Which of the above statements are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2022 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- It is a measure of the value of a currency against a weighted average of several foreign currencies. An increase in NEER indicates an appreciation of the rupee. Hence, Statement 1 is correct.
- An increase in REER implies that exports become more expensive and imports become cheaper; therefore, an increase indicates a loss in trade competitiveness. Hence, Statement 2 is not correct.
- An increasing trend in domestic inflation relative to inflation in other countries creates a divergence in NEER and REER. Hence, Statement 3 is correct.