With reference to the history of India, consider the following pairs:
- Aurang – In-charge of treasury of the State
- Banian – Indian agent of the East India Company
- Mirasidar – Designated revenue payer to the State
Which of the pairs given above is/are correctly matched?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2020 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Aurang was a Persian term referred to as a warehouse.
- It is a place where goods are collected before being sold.
- The term also refers to a workshop. Hence Pair 1 is not Correct.
- The term banian means merchant.
- The banian was engaged by an individual western merchant or a firm to work for them as a broker, interpreter, and agent. Hence Pair 2 is Correct.
- Under the ryotwari settlement system, the government recognized mirasidars as the sole proprietors of land.
- They acted as the Designated revenue payer to the State.Hence Pair 3 is Correct.