With reference to the difference between the culture of Rigvedic Aryans and Indus Valley people, which of the following statements is/are correct?
- Rigvedic Aryans used the coat of mail and helmet in warfare whereas the people of Indus Valley Civilization did not leave any evidence of using them.
- Rigvedic Aryans knew gold, silver and copper whereas Indus Valley people knew only copper and iron.
- Rigvedic Aryans had domesticated the horse whereas there is no evidence of Indus Valley people having been aware of this animal.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2017 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- The Rig Vedic Aryans employed the use of mail and helmets in warfare, as supported by historical evidence. Conversely, no archaeological evidence has been discovered indicating the utilization of such protective gear by the people of the Indus Valley Civilization. Therefore, statement 1 is correct.
- The Rig Vedic Aryans possessed knowledge of and utilized various metals such as gold, silver, copper, and iron, as indicated in their texts. In contrast, the people of the Indus Valley Civilization were familiar with gold, copper, and bronze but did not possess knowledge of iron. Thus, statement 2 is incorrect.
- The Rig Vedic Aryans had domesticated horses and were familiar with their use, while there is no conclusive evidence to suggest that the people of the Indus Valley Civilization were aware of or had domesticated horses. Therefore, statement 3 is correct.
Therefore, option (c) is the correct answer.