With reference to the cultivation of Kharif crops in India in the last five years, consider the following statements:
- Area under rice cultivation is the highest.
- Area under the cultivation of jowar is more than that of oilseeds.
- Area of cotton cultivation is more than that of sugarcane.
- Area under sugarcane cultivation has steadily decreased.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2019 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 3 only
(b) 2, 3 and 4 only
(c) 2 and 4 only
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Statement 1 is correct as the area under rice cultivation in India was 44.13 million hectares in 2013-14, and it decreased to 43.39 million hectares in 2015-16, making it the highest among all crops.
- Statement 2 is not correct as the annual area under Jowar ranges between 17 and 18 million hectares, which is less than the oilseed area that was 28 million hectares in 2013-14 and 26.1 million hectares in 2015-16.
- Statement 3 is correct as the area under cotton cultivation was 11.96 million hectares in 2013-14, increased to 12.81 million hectares in 2014-15, and decreased to 11.87 million hectares in 2015-16, which is more than the area under sugarcane cultivation.
- Statement 4 is not correct as the area under sugarcane cultivation was 4.99 million hectares in 2013-14, increased to 5.066 million hectares in 2014-15, and decreased to 4.953 million hectares in 2015-16, indicating no steady decrease.
Therefore, option (a) is the correct answer.