With reference to the Cabinet Mission, which of the following statements is/are correct?
- It recommended a federal government.
- It enlarged the powers of the Indian courts.
- It provided for more Indians in the ICS.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2015 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3
(c) 1 and 3
- The Cabinet Mission consisted of three Cabinet Ministers from England and aimed to create a constitution for Independent India and establish an interim Government.
- The plan proposed the formation of a Union of India, with limited powers dealing with defence, foreign affairs, and communications.
- The Union Government would be responsible for raising finances to manage these subjects.
- The remaining powers would be vested in the provinces, making the Centre weak and promoting provincial autonomy.
- The plan was a declaration of India’s independence and proposed a federal structure of government.
Therefore, option (a) is the correct answer.