With reference to Swadeshi Movement, consider the following statements:
- It contributed to the revival of the indigenous artisan crafts and industries.
- The National Council of Education was established as a part of Swadeshi Movement.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2019 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
- The Swadeshi movement was launched in 1905 in response to the partition of Bengal and gained widespread support throughout India, with key leaders such as Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Bipin Chandra Pal, and Lala Lajpat Rai.
- This movement was initiated by the Indian National Congress in Bengal after Lord Curzon’s announcement of the partition.
- To promote the positive aspects of the swadeshi movement, textile mills, soap, tobacco and match factories, tanneries, and banks were established, which also helped revive indigenous artisan crafts and industries.
- As part of the swadeshi industrialisation movement, the National Council of Education was established in Bengal in 1906 to promote technical education in India.
Therefore, option (c) is the correct answer.