With reference to solar power production in India, consider the following statements:
- India is the third largest in the world in the manufacture of silicon wafers used in photovoltaic units.
- The solar power tariffs are determined by the Solar Energy Corporation of India.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2018 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
- India currently does not manufacture any silicon chips for solar energy and instead relies on importing all the materials used to assemble solar panels.
- The development of semiconductor clusters in India is still in progress.
- To establish the world’s largest solar power plant, India has announced plans to invest $480 million in building its first unit for manufacturing solar silicon cells.
- The Central Electricity Regulatory Commission is responsible for regulating the tariffs of generating companies under the Central Government’s ownership or control.
- The Solar Energy Corporation of India Limited (SECI) holds a license for power trading.
Therefore, option (d) is the correct answer.