With reference to river teesta, consider the following statements
- The source of river Teesta is the same as that of Brahamputra but it flows through Sikkim
- River Rangeet originates in Sikkim and it is a tributary of river Teesta.
- River Teesta flows into Bay of Bengal on the border of India and Bangladesh.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2017 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 3 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- The statement that Teesta River originates from the same source as the Brahmaputra is incorrect. Teesta River actually originates from the Pahunri glacier.
- The Brahmaputra, on the other hand, originates in the Angsi glacier near Mount Kailash.
- Teesta River is a right tributary of the Brahmaputra and flows through West Bengal and Sikkim before emptying into the Bay of Bengal through Bangladesh.
- The statement that Teesta River originates from Sikkim and is the largest river in the region is incorrect. Rather, the River Rangeet, which is also a tributary of Teesta, is the largest river in Sikkim. The statement that River Rangeet is a tributary of Teesta is correct.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.