With reference to ‘Red Sanders’, sometimes seen in the news, consider the following statements:
- It is a tree species found in a part of South India.
- It is one of the most important trees in the tropical rain forest areas of South India.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2016 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Pterocarpus santalinus, also known as Red Sanders or Red Sandalwood, is a type of Pterocarpus that is native to the southern Eastern Ghats Mountain range in South India.
- It is mainly found in Andhra Pradesh and thrives in dry, hot climates, making it an excellent regenerator.
- However, it is not typically grown in tropical rainforests.
- This species is typically located at elevations ranging from 150 to 900 meters and prefers dry, rocky terrain and hillsides.
- It can grow in lateritic and gravelly soil but does not tolerate waterlogging.
Therefore, option (a) is the correct answer.