With reference to pulse production in India, consider the following statements:
- Black gram can be cultivated as both kharif and rabi crop.
- Green-gram alone accounts for nearly half of pulse production.
- In the last three decades, while the production of kharif pulses has increased, the production of rabi pulses has decreased.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2020 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 2 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Pulses, which are an important source of protein and nutrients, are cultivated in all three agricultural seasons – Kharif, Rabi, and Zaid. Therefore, statement 1 is correct.
- While Gram is the most widely grown pulse crop, accounting for approximately 40% of the total production, Tur/Arhar at 15-20%, Urad/Black Matpe, and Moong each account for approximately 8-10% of the total production. Hence, statement 2 is not correct.
- In the past three decades, there has been an increase in the production of pulses during both the Rabi and Kharif seasons. Hence, statement 3 is not correct.
Therefore, option (a) is the correct answer.