With reference to micro-irrigation, which of the following statements is/are correct?
- Fertilizer/nutrient loss can be reduced.
- It is the only means of irrigation in dry land farming.
- In some areas of farming, receding of ground water table can be checked.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2011 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Micro-irrigation and its benefits
- Micro-irrigation is a technique where water is directly applied to the root zone through emitters like drippers, sprinklers, and foggers. The method carries water and nutrients directly to the plant’s roots, drop by drop, via an extensive network of low-pressure pipes.
- Increased crop yield.
- Reduction in water loss.
- Saving of fertilizers.
- Reduction in nutrient leaching.
- Reduction in pest problems.
- Reduction in soil erosion.
- Helps in reducing groundwater depletion.
- Clarification: Dryland farming refers to crop production without irrigation in regions with rainfall of less than 500 mm annually. Therefore, statement 2, which implies that micro-irrigation is used in dryland farming, is incorrect.
Therefore, option (c) is the correct answer.