With reference to Mian Tansen, which one of the following statements is not correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2019 Prelims]
(a) Tansen was the title given to him by Emperor Akbar.
(b) Tansen composed Dhrupads on Hindu gods and goddesses.
(c) Tansen composed songs on his patrons.
(d) Tansen invented many Ragas.
- Tansen was given his title by Raja Vikramjit of Gwalior, but Akbar gave him the title Kanthabharan Vanivilas.
- He was a court poet for Raja Ramchandra Singh of Rewa and Akbar.
- Tansen was known for his expertise in the Dhrupad style of singing.
- He is credited with creating several ragas, including Darbari Kanhra, Mian Ki Todi, Mian Ki Sarang, and Mian Ki Malhar, which were associated with different times of day or seasons.
- Tansen composed many Dhrupads dedicated to Hindu gods and goddesses, as well as songs for his patrons.
Therefore, option (a) is the correct answer.