With reference to Indian history, which of the following statements is/are correct?
- The Nizamat of Arcot emerged out of Hyderabad State.
- The Mysore Kingdom emerged out of Vijayanagara Empire.
- Rohilkhand Kingdom was formed out of the territories occupied by Ahmad Shah Durrani.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2021 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 3 only
- Statement 1 is incorrect because although the Nizam of Arcot emerged as an independent state after the decline of the Mughal Empire, it remained a protected area for the Hyderabad state.
- Statement 2 is correct as the kingdom of Mysore became a powerful state under the Wodayar dynasty, which initially served as a vassal of the Vijayanagar Empire.
- Statement 3 is incorrect because the emergence of the state of Rohilkhand in the districts of Rampur, Bareilly, etc., took place in 1721 during the decline of the Mughal Empire while Ahmad Shah Durrani started his invasion of India in 1748.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.