With reference to Indian history, consider the following statements:
- The first Mongol invasion of India happened during the reign of Jalal-ud-din Khalji.
- During the reign of Ala-ud-din Khalji, one Mongol assault marched up to Delhi and besieged the city.
- Muhammad-bin-Tughlaq temporarily lost portions of north-west of his kingdom to Mongols.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2022 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 2 only
(c) 1 and 3
(d) 3 only
- The statement 1 is incorrect, as in 1221, during the reign of Iltutmish, Chengiz Khan arrived at the banks of Indus.
- Under the reign of Balban in 1279, Prince Mohammad of Multan, Bughra Khan from Samana, and Malik Mubarak of Delhi formed an alliance to successfully defeat the Mongols. Similarly, during the reign of Allauddin Khilji between 1296 and 1299, Zafar Khan was able to defeat the Mongols at Jalandhar, and in 1304, Ali Beg and Tash were also defeated.
- In 1329, during the reign of Muhammad Bin Tughluq, Tarmashirin Khan managed to reach the outskirts of Delhi but was later defeated by Muhammad Bin Tughluq. Hence, statement 3 is incorrect.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.