With reference to Indian history, consider the following pairs:
Historical person Known as
- Aryadeva — Jaina scholar
- Dignaga — Buddhist scholar
- Nathamuni — Vaishnava scholar
How many pairs given above are correctly matched?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – Prelims 2022]
(a) None of the pairs
(b) Only one pair
(c) Only two pairs
(d) All three pairs
- Pair 1 is incorrectly matched: Aryadeva, a disciple of Nagarjuna, was a Mahayana Buddhist monk and a Madhyamaka philosopher.
- Pair 2 is correctly matched: Dignaga, an Indian Buddhist scholar, was one of the founders of Indian logic (hetu vidya) and his work contributed to the development of deductive logic and the first system of Buddhist logic and epistemology (Pramana).
- Pair 3 is correctly matched: Sriman Nathamuni, also known as Sri Ranganathamuni, was a Vaishnava theologian who collected and compiled the Nalayira Divya Prabandham.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.