With reference to “Gucchi” sometimes mentioned in the news, consider the following statements:
- It is a fungus.
- It grows in some Himalayan forest areas.
- It is commercially cultivated in the Himalayan foothills of north-eastern India.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2022 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 3 only
(c) 1 and 2
(d) 2 and 3
- Guchhi mushroom belongs to the Morchellaceae family of the Ascomycota fungus. The cap has large pits and ridges and is pale yellow, while the stem is white and large.
- The mushroom is primarily grown in Himachal Pradesh, Uttaranchal, and Jammu and Kashmir in the foothills of the Himalayas.
- It is not possible to cultivate these mushrooms commercially, and they grow naturally in conifer forests across various temperature regions. Villagers collect and dry the mushrooms for several months before bringing them to market. Guchhi mushrooms are packed with health benefits, including high levels of potassium, copper, and various vitamins, such as vitamin D and several B vitamins.
- Therefore, statement 1 and 2 are correct, while statement 3 is incorrect.