With reference to furnace oil, consider the following statements:
- It is a product of oil refineries.
- Some industries use it to generate power.
- Its use causes sulphur emissions into environment.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2021 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Furnace oil is a residual fuel that is dark, viscous and produced through the blending of heavier components of crude oil. It is a product of oil refineries.
- Furnace oil is used for a variety of purposes, such as heating homes and fueling trucks, lighting furnaces, producing steam for industrial uses and generating electric energy. It is also known as kerosene, home heating oil, diesel fuel or coal oil, and is derived from burnable liquids obtained from crude oil.
Sulphur is naturally present in crude oil, and can be found in gasoline and diesel unless it is removed. Furnace oil has a high sulphur content, which leads to its emission when burned.