With reference to ‘fuel cells’ in which hydrogen-rich fuel and oxygen are used to generate electricity, consider the following statements:
- If pure hydrogen is used as a fuel, the fuel cell emits heat and water as by-products.
- Fuel cells can be used for powering buildings and not for small devices like laptop computers.
- Fuel cells produce electricity in the form of Alternating Current (AC).
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2015 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- If pure hydrogen is used as a fuel, fuel cells emit only heat and water as byproducts. Hence statement 1 is correct.
- Fuel cells could power our cars, with hydrogen replacing petroleum fuels.
- Fuel cells can power almost any portable device or machine that uses batteries. Laptop computers, cellular phones, and hearing aids could be powered by portable fuel cells. Hence statement 2 is incorrect.
- Hydrogen-powered fuel cells are more energy-efficient than traditional combustion technologies.
- Fuel cells produce electricity in the form of direct current (DC). Hence statement 3 is incorrect.