With reference to ‘Forest Carbon Partnership Facility’, which of the following statements is/are correct?
- It is a global partnership of governments, businesses, civil society and indigenous peoples.
- It provides financial aid to universities, individual scientists and institutions involved in scientific forestry research to develop eco-friendly and climate adaptation technologies for sustainable forest management.
- It assists the countries in their ‘REDD+ (Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation+)’ efforts by providing them with financial and technical assistance.
Select the correct answer using the code” given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2015 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
The Forest Carbon Partnership Facility (FCPF), which became operational in June 2008, is a global partnership of governments, businesses, civil society, and indigenous peoples focused on reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation, forest carbon stock conservation, the sustainable management of forests, and the enhancement of forest carbon stocks in developing countries (activities commonly referred to as REDD+).
Objectives of the forest carbon partnership facilities are:
- To assist countries in their REDD+ efforts by providing them with essential financial and technical assistance resulting in capacity building.
- To pilot a performance-based payment system ensuring equitable benefit sharing.
- Ways to sustain or enhance the livelihood of local communities and to conserve biodiversity.
- To disseminate knowledge gained in the development of the facility and the implementation of readiness preparation proposals.