With reference to Eco-Sensitive Zones’, which of the following statements is/are correct?
- Eco-Sensitive Zones are the areas that are declared under the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972.
- The purpose of the declaration of Eco-Sensitive Zones is to prohibit all kinds of human activities in those zones except agriculture.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2014 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Eco-sensitive zones, as per the Environment Protection Act 1986, are areas around protected areas that act as a buffer zone.
- They are notified under section 3 by the Ministry of Environment and Forest. Thus, statement 1 is incorrect.
- Certain activities in eco-sensitive zones are either banned or regulated to protect the environment.
- However, agriculture, horticulture practices by local communities, organic farming, rainwater harvesting, scientific research, and tourism are permitted. Hence statement 2 is also incorrect.
- Eco-sensitive zones act as a shock absorber for the protected areas, and they serve as a transition zone from high protection areas to lesser protection areas.
- They help in in-situ conservation, minimize forest depletion, and reduce man-animal conflict.
- They also minimize the impact of urbanization and developmental activities in protected areas.