With reference to ‘dugong’, a mammal found in India, which of the following statements is/are correct?
- It is a herbivorous marine animal.
- It is found along the entire coast of India.
- It is given legal protection under Schedule I of the Wildlife (Protection) Act; 1972.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2015 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 2 only
(c) 1 and 3
(d) 3 only
- The Dugong, scientifically known as Dugong dugon and commonly referred to as the “Sea Cow,” is a herbivorous marine mammal.
- It is one of four extant species in this order and the only one that exclusively inhabits the sea, including coastal areas of India
- It is given legal protection under Schedule I of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972.