With reference to Chausath Yogini Temple situated near Morena, consider the following statements:
- It is a circular temple built during the reign of Kachchhapaghata Dynasty.
- It is the only circular temple built in India.
- It was meant to promote the Vaishnava cult in the region.
- Its design has given rise to a popular belief that it was the inspiration behind the Indian Parliament building.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2021 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 4 only
(d) 2, 3 and 4 only
- Statement 1: An inscription reveals that the temple was constructed by Maharaja Devapala of the Kacchapagata dynasty in VS 1380 (1323 CE). Therefore, statement 1 is correct.
- Statement 2: This temple is situated atop a small hill and features a circular architectural plan. However, contrary to statement 2, the Chausath Yogini temple near Jabalpur is not circular in design. Hence, statement 2 is incorrect.
- Statement 3: The temple, dedicated to Yoginis (female masters of Yoga), was not intended to promote Vaishnavism. Therefore, statement 3 is incorrect.
- Statement 4: Notably, there are significant similarities in the architectural design between the temple in question and the Parliament building. Consequently, some assert that the former may have served as an inspiration for the latter’s design. Therefore, statement 4 is correct.
Therefore. Option (c) is the correct answer.