With reference to ‘Changpa’ community of India, consider the following statement:
- They live mainly in the State of Uttarakhand.
- They rear the Pashmina goats that yield a fine wool.
- They are kept in the category of Scheduled Tribes.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2014 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Inaccurate Statement:
- The first statement is incorrect, as the Changpa people are a semi-nomadic Tibetan community primarily found in the Changtang area of Ladakh and Jammu and Kashmir.
- Accurate Statements:
- The Changpas are well-known for rearing highly pedigreed and prized Changra goats (Capra Hircus) that yield the rare Pashmina (Cashmere) fiber. Pashmina fiber is recognized as the most refined type of goat hair, making the second statement accurate.
- In 1989, Changpas were recognized as Scheduled Tribes, rendering the third statement accurate.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.