With reference to Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS), consider the following statements:
- It is an autonomous organization under the Ministry of Environment and Forests.
- It strives to conserve nature through action-based research, education and public awareness.
- It organizes and conducts nature trails and camps for the general public.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2014 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 3 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS) is one of the largest non-governmental organizations in India engaged in conservation and biodiversity research. Hence Statment 1 is Not Correct.
- BNHS Mission: Conservation of nature, primarily biological diversity through action based on research, education, and public awareness. Hence Statement 2 is Correct.
- BNHS Vision: Premier independent scientific organization with a broad-based constituency, excelling in the conservation of threatened species and habitats.
- BNHS also organizes and conducts nature trails and camps for the general public. Hence Statement 3 is Correct.