With reference to Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), consider the following statements:
- AIIB has more than 80 member nations.
- India is the largest shareholder in AIIB.
- AIIB does not have any members from outside Asia.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2019 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- The AIIB is a multilateral development bank with 97 approved members worldwide, as of May 2023. Hence Statement 1 is Correct.
- India is the third-largest shareholder of the AIIB, after China and Russia. Hence Statement 2 is Not Correct.
- The AIIB has several non-regional members, including Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and Cyprus, but Qatar is not currently listed as a member. Hence Statement 3 is Not Correct.