With reference to an organization known as ‘BirdLife International’, which of the following statements is/are correct?
- It is a Global Partnership of Conservation Organizations.
- The concept of ‘biodiversity hotspots’ originated from this organization.
- It identifies the sites known/ referred to as ‘Important Bird and Biodiversity Areas’.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2015 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- BirdLife International is a coalition of conservation NGOs dedicated to preserving birds, their habitats, and biodiversity worldwide, while promoting sustainable use of natural resources with the help of local communities- statement 1 is correct.
- The term “biodiversity hotspots” was developed by Norman Myers in 1988 –statement 2 is not correct.
- BirdLife International’s IBA Programme seeks to safeguard the world’s birds and biodiversity by identifying, monitoring, and preserving a global network of IBAs (Important Bird and Biodiversity Areas) – statement 3 is correct.