With reference to agriculture in India, how can the technique of ‘genome sequencing’, often seen in the news, be used in the immediate future?
- Genome sequencing can be used to identify genetic markers for disease resistance and drought tolerance in various crop plants.
- This technique helps in reducing the time required to develop new varieties of crop plants.
- It can be used to decipher the host-pathogen relationships in crops
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Genome sequencing involves determining the sequence of DNA nucleotides or bases in an organism’s genome, including the order of As, Cs, Gs, and Ts.
- The human genome, for instance, contains more than 3 billion of these genetic letters.
- This technique can be employed to recognize genetic markers for disease resistance and drought tolerance in diverse crop plants.
- Furthermore, genome sequencing is an effective tool that can facilitate genetic engineering, thereby reducing the time needed to create new plant varieties.
- It can also be utilized to comprehend the relationship between hosts and pathogens in crops.