With reference to a conservation organization called ‘Wetlands International’, which of the following statements is/are correct?
- It is an intergovernmental organization formed by the countries which are signatories to Ramsar Convention.
- It works at the field level to develop and mobilize knowledge, and use the practical experience to advocate for better policies.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2014 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Wetlands international was formed in 1954.
- The Ramsar Convention was signed in 1971.
- As it was formed way before the Ramsar Convention, hence Statement 1 is Not Correct.
- Wetlands International’s work is in research, advocacy, and engagement with government, corporate and international policy forums and conferences. Hence, statement 2 is correct.