Who of the following had first deciphered the edicts of Emperor Ashoka?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2016 Prelims]
(a) Georg Buhler
(b) James Prinsep
(c) Max Muller
(d) William Jones
- Ashoka, who reigned from 269 to 232 BC, was the son of Bindusara.
- Ashoka was known by other names, namely Devanampiya and Piyadasi.
- In the year 269 BC, Ashoka ascended to the throne and was crowned as king.
- Ashoka gained fame primarily due to his involvement in the battle of Kalinga, which took place in 261 BC.
- It was in 1837 that James Prinsep became the first person to successfully decipher the inscriptions found on Ashoka’s edicts.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.