Who among the following was/were associated with the introduction of Ryotwari Settlement in India during the British rule?
- Lord Cornwallis
- Alexander Read
- Thomas Munro
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2017 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 1 and 3 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- The introduction of Ryotwari Settlement in India during British rule was associated with Alexander Read and Thomas Munro. Hence, option 2 and 3 are correct.
- Thomas Munro introduced the Ryotwari System in 1820, which was based on the system administered by Captain Alexander Reed.
- The Ryotwari System was first introduced in Tamil Nadu and later extended to Maharashtra, Berar, East Punjab, Coorg, and Assam.
- Under the Ryotwari System, ownership rights were given to the peasants, with no intermediaries between the government and individual cultivators.
- The British government directly collected taxes from the peasants.
Therefore, option (c) is the correct answer.