Which one of the following was given classical language status recently?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2015 Prelims]
- Classical languages possess a recorded history dating back 1500 to 2000 years, indicating their high antiquity.
- These languages have a rich body of ancient literature and texts that are highly regarded as a valuable heritage by successive generations of speakers.
- The literary tradition of classical languages is original and not borrowed from another speech community.
- Classical languages and their literature are distinct from their modern counterparts, often exhibiting a discontinuity between the classical form and later variations or offshoots.
- The six recognized classical languages in India are Tamil (2004), Sanskrit (2005), Kannada (2008), Telugu (2008), Malayalam (2013), and Odia (2014).
- There are calls to declare Marathi as a classical language.
- India has a Center of Excellence dedicated to the study of classical languages.
- All the classical languages are listed in the 8th schedule of the Indian Constitution.
- The Ministry of Culture serves as the nodal ministry that provides guidelines and support for classical languages.
Therefore, option (a) is the correct answer.