Which one of the following statements does not apply to the system of Subsidiary Alliance introduced by Lord Wellesley?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2018 Prelims]
(a) To maintain a large standing army at others expense
(b) To keep India safe from Napoleonic danger
(c) To secure a fixed income for the Company
(d) To establish British paramountcy over the Indian States
- The Subsidiary Alliance was a policy used by Lord Wellesley to bring Princely states under British control.
- Its aim was to eliminate French Power in India and maintain British supremacy in India.
- An Indian ruler who entered into a Subsidiary Alliance with the British had to allow British forces into their territory and pay for their maintenance.
- The Indian ruler was also required to accept the presence of British people in their state.
- The Indian ruler could not recruit any Europeans other than the British, and if they were already doing so, they had to dismiss them.
Therefore, option (c) is the correct answer.