Which one of the following statements best reflects the issue with Senkaku Islands, sometimes mentioned in the news?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2022 Prelims]
(a) It is generally believed that they are artificial islands made by a country around South China Sea.
(b) China and Japan engage in maritime disputes over these islands in East China Sea.
(c) A permanent American military base has been set up there to help Taiwan to increase its defence capabilities.
(d) Though International Court of Justice declared them as no man’s land, some South-East Asian countries claim them.
- It is located in the East China Sea between Japan, the People’s Republic of China, and the Republic of China (Taiwan).
- The archipelago contains five uninhabited islands and three barren rocks, ranging in size from 800 m2 to 4.32 km2.
- Senkaku Island is not an artificial island but a natural island. It is a group of eight uninhabited islands. Hence statement 1 is not correct.
- The Senkaku Islands dispute relates to a territorial dispute between China and Japan over a group of known uninhabited islands. Both Japan and China claim ownership of these islands. Senkaku Island is located in the East China Sea. Hence statement 2 is correct.
- The US has not established permanent military bases on Senkaku Island, but joint military exercises have been conducted between US and Japan military forces. Hence statement 3 is not correct.
- The International Court of Justice has not declared them as no man’s land regarding Senkaku Island. Hence statement 4 is not correct.