Which one of the following is the process involved in photosynthesis?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2014 Prelims]
(a) Potential energy is released to form free energy
(b) Free energy is converted into potential energy and stored
(c) Food is oxidized to release carbon dioxide and water
(d) Oxygen is taken, and carbon dioxide and water vapour are given out.
- Photosynthesis is a biological process utilized by green plants and some organisms to convert light energy into chemical energy.
- During photosynthesis, carbon dioxide and water are transformed into glucose and oxygen gas, using the energy from light. Option 2 is correct.
- The potential energy stored in glucose is then converted into kinetic energy through cellular respiration. Chemical bonds store potential energy which is released when the bonds are broken.
- Sunlight acts as a catalyst for the conversion of water and carbon dioxide into sugar and oxygen in photosynthesis.
- Oxygen is a byproduct of this process, which is released into the atmosphere. Therefore, options 3 and 4 are incorrect.