Which one of the following is the national aquatic animal of India?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2015 Prelims]
(a) Saltwater crocodile
(b) Olive ridley turtle
(c) Gangetic dolphin
Gangetic River dolphins:
- It is India’s national aquatic animal.
- Habitat –
- Ganges – Brahmaputra – Meghna and Karnaphuli-Sangu river systems of Nepal, India, and Bangladesh.
- Nearly 80%found in the Indian subcontinent.
- Other Name – Susu
- Features –
- It is blindand finds its way and prey in river waters through echolocation.
- It can only live in
- Conservation status –
- Schedule I animal under Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972.
- IUCN status – Endangered
- Threats: Direct killing, habitat fragmentation by dams and barrages and indiscriminate fishing.
Therefore, option (c) is the correct answer.