Which one of the following is the characteristics climate of the Tropical Savannah Region?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2012 Prelims]
(a) Rainfall throughout the year
(b) Rainfall in winter only
(c) An extremely short dry season
(d) A definite dry and wet season
- The Tropical Savannah region is also referred to as Tropical Wet and Dry in the Koeppen classification and is found to the north and south of tropical rainforest biomes.
- The largest expanse of savanna is located in Africa, mainly in Kenya and Tanzania. However, savanna grasslands can also be found in Brazil, South America.
- The region experiences two distinct seasons, a wet season and a dry season, with very little rain in the latter.
- During the wet season, vegetation grows including lush green grasses and wooded areas.
- As one moves away from the equator, the grasslands become increasingly arid during the dry season.
- The savanna vegetation includes scrub, grasses, and occasional trees that grow near water holes, seasonal rivers, or aquifers.
Therefore, option (d) is the correct answer.