Which one of the following ancient towns is well-known for its elaborate system of water harvesting and management by building a series of dams and channelizing water into connected reservoirs?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2021 Prelims]
- Dholavira, situated on Kadir Island in the Rann of Kutch, Gujarat, gained attention due to its remarkable water harvesting and management system.
- This city stood out with its innovative methods of coping with the region’s arid conditions, as it receives less than 160 cm of rainfall annually and is prone to droughts.
- The advanced water management system discovered at Dholavira showcases the resourcefulness of its inhabitants in adapting and thriving in a challenging environment.
- Extensive underground structures have revealed a complex network of interconnected water reservoirs, check dams, and bunds designed to redirect the flow of the Manhar River’s water into a reservoir.
- It is worth noting that other sites mentioned in the options lack similarly intricate water harvesting structures.
Therefore. Option (a) is the correct answer.