Which of the following statements is/are correct
- Viruses lack enzymes necessary for the generation of energy.
- Viruses can be cultured in any synthetic medium.
- Viruses are transmitted from one organism to another by biological vectors only.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2013 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Viruses have no metabolic enzymes and cannot generate their own energy. Hence 1 statement is correct.
- Viruses require a growth medium containing living cells, therefore, cannot be cultured in any synthetic medium. Hence 2 statement is incorrect.
- Viruses are transmitted from one organism to another not only by biological vectors but also by mechanical vectors. Hence 3 statement is incorrect.