Which of the following statements is/are correct regarding vegetative propagation of plants?
- Vegetative propagation produces clonal population.
- Vegetative propagation helps in eliminating the virus.
- Vegetative propagation can be practiced most of the year.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2014 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Vegetative propagation refers to a type of asexual reproduction that occurs in different parts of the plant, including the leaves, roots, and stem.
- This method of reproduction is typically used when crop plants fail to produce viable seeds or when the seeds have a long dormancy period.
- One advantage of vegetative propagation is that it can be practiced throughout most of the year.
- The widespread use of vegetative propagation results in the spread of viruses through propagates such as cuttings, tubers, runners and bulbs.
- Clonal propagation is another form of asexual reproduction used to create genetically identical copies of plants.
- This process involves either apomixis or vegetative reproduction.