Which of the following kingdoms were associated with the life of the Buddha?
Select the correct answer using the codes given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2015 Prelims]
(a) 1, 2 and 3 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1, 3 and 4
(d) 3 and 4 only
- Buddha embarked on journeys, traversing various towns and villages within the kingdoms of Kosala and Magadha, spreading his teachings and philosophy.
- Additionally, he traveled to regions such as Vaishali and Vajji, among others, where he continued to impart his teachings and philosophy to the people.
- Jetavana, also known as Jeta garden, was one of the most renowned and beautiful gardens given to Buddha’s entourage. It was situated near Sravasti, the capital of the Kosala kingdom.
- Another significant monastic retreat for Buddha was the “bamboo grove” in Rajgriha, the capital of Magadha. This retreat was provided by King Bimbisara.
- The region of Gandhara does not have direct associations with the life of Buddha.
- During the reign of Asoka, Gandhara experienced the influence of Buddhist culture.
- Avanti is not connected to the life of Buddha.
- Buddha belonged to the Shakya clan, and their capital was Kapilavastu. However, during the Buddha’s lifetime, the growing Kingdom of Kosala annexed the Shakya clan.
Therefore, option (d) is the correct answer.